This meal is served when we...
- have been out all day (really, who wants to cook after being out all day?)
- are craving for flavoursome comfort food
- have friends / family over so that we can focus on them and not the cooking
All the ingredients are placed in the slow cooker. Yes, no browning required. Just plonk it all in, turn the knob to the setting you desire and walk away. When you lift on the lid on the finished product, you will be greeted by this gastronomical sight that will make your mouth salivate.
Mags' Easy Peasey Oxtail Stew (serves 5)
1 white onion, cut into quarters
1 zucchini, cut into chunks
2 celery sticks, cut into chunks
Handful of cherry tomatoes
1 huge tin of Heinz Big Red Tomato Soup
1 tin of chickpeas / lentils
2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
Freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup water / your favourite red wine
- Put everything in the slow cooker. Cook on high setting for 6 hours or on auto setting for 8 hours. Skim off the fat.
- optional - Once cool, put in the refrigerator overnight and skim off more fat the next day
- Serve it with pasta, rice, mop it up with bread or have it on its own